Thursday, June 09, 2005

6/9/2005

The overnight train was not too bad at all. We occupied two compartments of four soft sleepers except for me because we had nine in total. The train was clean and air conditioned. Not long after the train moved out of the station did I fall asleep.

I woke up when the train completely stopped at the Beijing station. I saw people move toward the exits and I had to hurry and catch up. When I walked out of my compartment, Michael Wang our contact in Beijing was already on the train helping us with our luggage. Without him being there, our job would have been much harder.

When we got to the hotel, Michael wanted us to rest for the morning. Dave wanted to go to a tailor to get a suit made. After breakfast, off we went to a place recommended by Michael with Tyler tagged along. Over there, Dave exercised all his charm to cut the price for making a jacket and pants to $60. The price was so attractive that Tyler couldn’t resist. He first wanted nothing, then just a top and at end decided to have a whole set made. On our way back the cab driver couldn’t find our hotel. He had to stop five times to ask for directions.

We toured Beida in the afternoon and visited Yao Hong’s old dorm. In the evening we had Chongqing style hot pot in which we dropped thinly cut fresh meats and veggies into a boiling pot for a short time and ate. Everyone had a good time doing and eating this way.

After dinner Ed, Nomsa and I decided to have foot massage. As usual it was good. Ed even paid for me for taking them here. That was nice of him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home