Wednesday, June 15, 2005

6/15/2005

Yesterday I met Li Lin, Xu Dingbo and Fu Guoqun in Perking University. Dinbo and Guoqun were my classmates in Wuda graduate school and Li Lin is Dingbo’s wife. They are now quite well off professors. Dingbo teaches in Sino-Europe School of Business in Shanghai, Guoqun is a marketing professor in GongHua School of Business in BeiDa, and Li Lin runs the Institute of Chinese Economy Studies in Beida. I met Dingbo last year in Shanghai but had not seen either Guoqun or Li Lin for many years. It was amazing that after this long time of absence we were just like old friends joking and kidding around. Guoqun also introduced me to one of MIS professors for possible future research collaboration.

While we three Dingbo Guoqun and I were having dinner, Zhao Lichen my undergraduate classmate came in at 8pm to meet me. We invited him to join us. It turned out one of his colleagues took Dingbo’s class before. What a small world.

Dinner was interrupted once more time when a sister of a colleague of Dingbo’s dropped in. The purpose of her visit was matchmaking. Would you care to guess for whom?

After dinner, we went to a café to drink tea. I ordered a cup of tea called worry-me-not thinking it was herb tea. To my dismay I found out it was tea based when I couldn’t sleep later. I had to watch on TV the Chinese U20 soccer team beat Ukraine in the world youth championship. I slept for about just two hours before getting up to go to the airport to catch my flight to Shenyang.

My friend Cool Er met me in Shenyang airport. She had a rather busy schedule planned for me. After resting for a while, we headed to Forbidden City Shenyang Style. Much smaller than Beijing’s, it was built by the first two Manchurian emperors of Qing dynasty, the last dynasty in China. The good thing about this one was that there were far less people here than in Beijing so we could see the history at our leisure.

Two best things about this hotel I’m staying: a swimming pool and free broadband internet access. I swam 1000 meters today, half of what I wanted to do per Karin’s suggestion so that I wouldn’t get the same reaction I got when swimming in Dalian last time. We’ll wait and see tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home