Friday, January 13, 2006

Spanish for French?

A piece of news in today's newspaper caught my eyes. The title was Energie: l’irruption de la Chine. It was saying that the energy consumption in China was 2% of that of the world in 1950, 9% in 2000, and likely 20% in 2050. The conference was about how the energy industry in France and Grenbole can be involved in the transformation. The Chinese general consulate would be present. It was held at l'Institute National polytechnique de Grenoble, which we walked by everyday from the hotel to the school of management.

Over the last a few days I have often seen dog shits lying in the street. I don't what culture theory would explain this phenomenon.

Since I had a late breakfast, I ordered just Salad Grenobloesis for lunch. It was the best salad I ever had. It had a lot walnut in it, too. I don't know what type of dressing they used. It was simply fabulous.

One thing I have noticed is that French don't put huile d'olive (olive oil) on the table. Their breads are good but I still like to dip them in olive oil. So each time I need to ask the waiter to bring me some of that. They all happily obligate.

I don't know why I often mix Spanish with French, such as "si" for "oui," "aqua" for "l'eau" or "grazias" for "merci."

Deirdre commented on my yesterday's entry saying that a similar situation with asking for directions and ending up where one started in the first place happened to her and her friends. It is good to know that we are not unique in that department.

Twelve of us went to a steak house for dinner. I ordered mine well done but when it was brought to me it was still reddish inside. I was told that it was the French version of well done. I enjoyed my fries better than the meat. I don't think I am a steak kind of guy.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Hm, yeah. Forgot to warn you about the dog shit. I had a conversation with some of the students in France last year and they were a little "weirded out" that we actually have a law that people have to clean up after their dogs.

I read a book titled "A Year in the Merde" which devoted a considerable number of pages to the dog shit on the sidewalk phenomonon.

By the time I left France, I could identify which specific pile of shit came from which dog within a one block radius of where I was living. Quite disturbing, really.

DJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home