Sunday, June 19, 2005

6/19/2005

I was waked up by YY’s phone call asking me whether I wanted to have breakfast. I wanted to sleep more but breakfast was important as well. So we met in the dinning room downstairs and had a nice Cantonese style breakfast. Afterward we decided to go swimming in the sea. It was cloudy and water was relatively calm. The swimming area was circled by lines. The distance for the shore to the deepest area was about 100 meters. I decided to swim across and back. I was not much of an ocean swimmer but I enjoyed this outing. It was so quite that I felt there were just me and the sea. A wave after another seemed to welcome and embrace me. Every stroke of mine was greeted by the warmth of the water. But it was definitely more tiring than in swimming pools. But I could not resist but to swim another round trip later.

After treating me a nice lunch at a roof top restaurant in the building where YY worked, she asked her driver to take me to the university (the Graduate School of Peking University at Shenzhen) where I was supposed to teach for the next two weeks. It was not easy to find the place because of its remote location. The contact in the university told me that it was near the zoo of wild animals (Ed would have loved the place). I joked that I was arranged to live in the zoo. We managed to get there after a couple of turn-around. They left me after helping move my luggage into my apartment, which looked similar to the one in Dalian but a little older and not as nice. I called Xinan my classmate now the Dean of the School of Information and Engineering and he told me that he was playing tennis downstairs. I went there and joined them. I again played some. These first couple of days in Shenzhen looked very much like back to the past by inducing me to play my old sports.

In the evening I scrambled to get my lesson plan done for tomorrow morning’s class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home