Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Things Do Change

Not until this morning did I find out that my late arrival last evening from the ski trip caused a small scare. My returning bus was delayed due to the heavy traffic coming down from the mountain. It was almost 8pm did we arrive the bus station. I decided to grab something to eat on the way to the hotel so I could go to bed early. On the other hand, Bob and Memo expected me to join them for dinner. Because of my no show, they started to speculate various outcomes. They thought to call the local hospitals or the ski resort. At one point they were convinced that one of the flying-by helicopters was carrying me to an ER.

I was surprised that I only felt some stiffness in my legs this morning.

In the afternoon, we paid a visit to syrup factory which made French famous brand Teissire. They did not expect a large group like ours and we had to be divided into two to three small groups at times. The presentation was good and production was modern. One of their new hires, Christian, was there to learn the operation as well. We had long talks along the way. He spent many years in Asia promoting French wine. He spoke some Cantonese. Now he was charged to promoting the syrup in the Asia market. He said he would visit china next month. I gave him my business card so that he could get in touch with me if he needed some helps and pointers.

Over the weekend, I was wondering about the NFL payoff game results. Not until this morning did I get a chance to get online. To my surprise the Colts lost again. It looks like now Seattle is the team to beat.

We went to a family owned restaurant highly recommended by Bob and Memo based on their personal experiences. But the food turned out to be disappointing when compared to our prior high expectations. Late we found out that the ownership was changed. So, things do change.

I think I discovered one of the answers to Bob's accounting question. French women rarely used elevators at the school. They preferred to walk upstairs.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Also, portion sizes are a lot smaller and food is not as sweet. I think, too, that there are physical structural differences between the Gauls and the Americans (especially Americans with Germanic roots). There is also more emphasis placed on physical appearance amoung French women. I had some students comment on my appearance ("you would look better if you did this...". It wasn't really rude --it was just very matter of fact (and very normal). Also, women's magazines are all about losing weight. In the US, a lot of magazines are about accepting yourself as you are, but in the French magazines, it is all about getting under 50 kgs.

I don't now if you have noticed, but the men are thinner too. At times they looked unhealthy to me (!).

Oh, and people walk more in France.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home