Saturday, July 02, 2005

July 2, 2005

The conference formally got underway today. During one of the morning plenary talks, Grace asked me if I could do the introduction and first two sections for our presentation scheduled in the afternoon. I was a little surprised because I did not have time to prepare. I did PowerPoint slides a couple of weeks ago thinking that she would do the presentation. But now she said she had a fever and did not feel like to do the whole thing. I could not say anything else. I rushed to prepare the slides and talk during the lunch break. Fortunately the presentation went well. It was a great relief that it was over.

In the same session as mine I met three people from Indonesia. They were really nice. Ruth King from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was also there. His son David a consultant for Deloitte Consulting presented their paper and did a good job. I knew of her but never met her personally. Now I had pleasure to talk with her. We also sat next to each other at the dinner table. Afterward we decided to walk a little in the city. She told that she was to move to UNC at Greensboro for their newly established Ph.D. program in the fall. We were nicely surprised to find out that not only our research interests but our friends were overlapping. In addition she was a ballroom dancer. We just hit it off. I think she would be a good mentor for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home