Friday, August 05, 2005

August 2, 2005

I left Kunming for Xiamen yesterday. The purpose of this segment was to meet Ms. DML. She was a friend of a friend’s of my older sister’s. She just recently opened an iron mine near Taiyuan in northern part of China, which was rural and undeveloped. It was amazing how a tiny girl could survive such harsh conditions. I admired her. By all means she was a successful businesswoman. It was interesting that I could have good conversations with her on the phone but couldn’t face-to-face. She was constantly on the phone dealing with her business. Well, in fact for last two days we never spent time alone except when she went to the airport to pick me up. She always invited others (her friends and relatives) to join us for activities. She told me that it was rare for her to have contact with an academia. Maybe this was the only way we could get conversations going.

Last night five of us went a hot springs resort in which there were hundreds of ponds filled with hot spring water and other stuff such as milk, rose, herbs, etc. Also two big swimming pools were present. I found that it was really easy to swim in them. Maybe the water was more floating than regular one. No matter what the reason was, I was a happy camper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home